Monday, July 11, 2011

My first Monday in the home office

And here it is - my first day at the home office! I know what you're thinking - 1st July is already a week ago, what the heck was he doing all the time? Well, before diving into the Wormworld Saga with full speed I traveled to Graz, Austria where the nice people of video2brain recorded some brand new video workshops with me. We'd already produced a German workshop DVD in 2006 (and you can access the videos as online streams here) but a lot has changed in the last 5 years and I'm really happy that we were able to record some fresh material. Also, this time we recorded the videos in German and English so that a lot more people are going to be able to enjoy them. I will announce it here as soon as they become available.

Alright, after an intense week of recording in the studio I've now arrived at home. This travel to Graz served as a wonderful transition into my new work life I must say. At the weekend I did some rearrangement of the stuff in my studio and now I'm ready. There's a lot of stuff to do and finally I've got time to get things rolling. 

My first priority at the moment is the Wormworld Saga App. We are planning to have it finished by the end of the month so I guess we can look forward to a launch in August. Then there's still some work to do on the kickstarter rewards on which I worked over the past 12 weekends. Here's some photos of the fun:






I'm going to finish my work on the rewards during the week now so I hope that I will be through with it pretty soon.

Well, and then of course there's the second chapter waiting. The preliminary version of it rested for 8 weeks and this is perfect for revising it now. I've learned that it is crucial to the process to give everything the time it needs. It will become a challenge to arrange for that when I'm starting to speed through my milestones from now on. I currently plan to create the preliminary version of chapter 3 before starting the final artwork for chapter 2 so that it can rest for some time, too. It might generally be a good idea to always be one chapter ahead with the prelims. Speed doesn't only have its benefits but also its pitfalls. But we'll maneuver our way around them!

By the way, in the last few month I have used the Wormworld Saga Facebook Fanpage to post smaller updates (like links to interviews and stuff like that) so you might be interested to subscribe to that to get the full fix on Wormworld Saga news. Essential updates will always be posted to the blog though. I'm still not quite sure what exactly to put on my Twitter but there might turn up more stuff in the future, too. Please share any ideas you might have!

Alright, now let's get some stuff done!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel, congrats on the new job :)
    Could you post the same info on twitter for those of us who don't have a facebook account? - Esmee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that'll make sense. I'm going to update Facebook and Twitter simultaniously then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a good idea to do the prelim before the final version of the chapter before.

    That way if you get stuck or realise that you left out an important detail it is not too late to add it in.

    And your office looks very cool! I wish mine were. that big

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dream of the same office, =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Giles:

    Did you notice my trick there? The rear wall is a mirror so the studio looks twice as big as it actually is. :) I found that huge mirror when a local dancing school shut their doors. Man, was I happy that it fit exactly into my studio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on being able to do this full time! It's incredibly inspirational to see an artist's workspace also - it looks like the kind of place where it would be fun to sit for many hours drawing and creating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel,

    Congratulations!

    I love the picture of your studio. It looks happy, and like an excellent place for an adventure to begin. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your comic. It's awesome. I love your painting. Just amazing! Can't wait for chapter 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Proper home insulation can abate the activity that your home needs to be abundantly acrimonious and cooled by up to 20%.

    Real Estate Management

    ReplyDelete
  11. A cool office to work in! And the aliens surrounding it? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete